The original gates have been restored and re-instated at Victoria Park. After a lot of work by Friends of Victoria Park and Glasgow City Council the gates have been recently restored.VictoriaParkGates

The gates are located at the main entrance to the park on Victoria Park Drive North opposite Airthrey Avenue. Well done to everyone involved.

In terms of the colour scheme FOVP noted that, “Based on paint analysis samples taken from several areas of the gates and pillars this has indicated the original maroon colours used to paint the Jubilee gates back in 1887.”

New restored gates

New restored gates

Previous gates

Previous gates

“The original maroon colour is thought to have represented the old Partick Burgh colours and the gold was associated with Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee as indicated in various gold sovereign coinage produced at the time and is also duplicated in the bust of Queen Victoria within both sets of pillars. This colour is also included on various parts of the gates, lanterns, crowns and plaques including the Partick Coat of arms plaque which is listed in the Marques’s of Bute’s book ‘The Arms of the Baronial and Police Burghs of Scotland’.”

FOVP_Logo“This proposed colour scheme will not only celebrate the parks 125th anniversary but will reflect the colours originally represented when the park was formally opened by Sir Andrew MacLean 1887, Provost of Partick and with the inauguration ceremony associated with the Jubilee of Her Majesty’s Reign.”

Friends of Victoria Park (FoVP) is a West Glasgow group set up to protect and develop this valuable and popular community asset.